How to replace a lost KCPE or KCSE examination certificate

Section 10 (1) (d) of the Kenya National Examination Council Act provides that KNEC will issue replacement certificates or diplomas to candidates upon acceptable proof of loss of the original.

When you lose your KCPE certificate, KSCE certificate or a certificate issued by KNEC, you can apply for a replacement following the process outlined below:


  1. Log into the KNEC portal and click on lost certificate;
  2. Fill in the details and upload the required documents; and
  3. Pay the required fee and collect the certificate at the KNEC offices after 15 days.

Documents required:

  1. Copy of certificate(s) or result slip(s). Only KCPE result slips from 2013 are accepted.
  2. Letter of recommendation addressed to the CEO of KNEC from either the Head teacher or Sub-County Director of Education (SCDE)/County Director of Education (CDE) for private candidates and closed down schools.
  3. Police Abstract indicating loss of certificate(s).
  4. Affidavit for lost certificate, (
  5.  Letter of recommendation from employer to KNEC (where applicable).
  6. Copy of National ID or passport.
  7. For minors: original birth certificate accompanied with original ID of the parent/guardian.
  8. Original confirmation from the Registrar of persons on the identity of the applicant.
  9. For those whose names have changed: original Certificate of marriage or copy of Gazette notice in which the changed name appears.
  10. One color passport size photo of the Applicant.

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, once a week.

We don’t spam!

See also  Wise In-Depth Review: All You Need to Know