It happens. People grow tired of social media. They just want to disconnect from digital life, whether temporarily or permanently. People delete their social media for different reasons.
Some want a healthier life away from social media. It would make a lot of sense if you wanted to delete your Instagram account. Especially with the pressure to live up to high standards.
Before deleting your social media profile, make sure to back up the data. You may be doing it out of frustration, but you may also want to go back to your profile later on.
Backing up your data so you can keep all your interactions, files, and friends is a great idea. If you delete your account permanently, everything will be gone.
Steps to save your IG data before deleting your account
- Log into your Instagram account. Go to your Profile.
- Click on the menu icon. Next, select the Settings gear icon. Then search ‘download your information.’
- Alternatively, select the ‘Security’ option.
- Click on the ‘Download Data.’
- Provide an email address. Then tap ‘Request Download.’
Instagram gives you two options for deleting your account. It can be permanent or temporary.
Once you have saved Instagram data, delete your IG account as desired. This will permanently remove all photos, videos, comments, likes, and followers from your profile.
How to delete an Instagram account permanently
Permanently deleting your account goes with everything. You permanently erase your social media presence. The account disappears with the photos, comments, likes, followers, etc.
The process can only be done via a browser. Instagram temporarily deactivates the account for 30 days. After which, your account permanently disappears. You can reinstate your account within that period.
So here you are. Are you ready to let go of your old Instagram profile? Here’s how to delete an Instagram account.
How to delete Instagram account
- Log in to your IG account using a browser.
- Navigate to the ‘Delete Your Instagram Account’ page to delete an Instagram account.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the reason for deactivating Instagram.
- Verify your decision by tapping the ‘Delete’ button.
And voila. You have permanently deleted your Instagram account.
Temporarily deactivate Instagram Account
Another valid option to stay offline is temporarily deactivating Instagram. It works if you’re looking for a brief break.
Disabling it will help you avoid making any impulsive decisions. It logs you out and conceals your profile. Somehow, you have deactivated your Instagram account from your followers.
This approach allows you to reinstate your profile. Hence, logging in will restore your Instagram account. This process cannot be done using the mobile app. The following steps temporarily deactivate Instagram:
- Open Instagram via a browser. (Through a mobile phone or desktop).
- Log in to your Instagram account via a web browser.
- Tap the Profile icon.
- Choose ‘Edit Profile’ after tapping Profile.
- Click ‘Temporarily disable my account.’ It is on the right side of the ‘Submit’ button.
- Select a reason for this decision from the drop-down list.
- Confirm your account password.
- On the left side, click ‘Temporarily Disable Account.’
Delete Account Instagram that has been hacked
You want to protect your data when you’ve been hacked. The most important thing is to recall your login credentials.
Without the login details, forget about deactivating your Instagram account. Otherwise, recover your password using the following steps:
- Open the Instagram download app on your phone.
- Below the Login button, click ‘Get help logging in.’
- Select ‘Login with Facebook‘ or ‘Use username, email, or phone’ for Android.
- For iOS, select either ‘Username‘ or ‘Phone.’
- Follow the on-screen instructions after making a selection.
If the hacker has changed your recovery info, you can:
- Launch the Instagram app.
- Click Get help logging in.
- Choose to key in your username.
- Click on Need more help?
- Follow the prompts Instagram gives you.
How to get your Instagram account back after deleting
Who knew all this would lead here? If you had deleted your account due to frustration, you probably want it back.
Unfortunately, there’s no workaround to do so. However, you can retrieve your account if it has been hacked. First, you need to report the account breach. Follow these steps:
- Enter your username/email and select Instagram’s ‘Get help signing in’ option.
- Select ‘Trouble logging in.’
- Follow the prompts. For instance, the account you want to be recovered. Then click ‘My account was hacked‘ to continue.
- Choose ‘hear more about your experience.’
- Fill out the necessary validation forms.
How deleting your Instagram account can benefit you
Deleting your IG account may be a daunting prospect. However, it can potentially offer benefits that make it worth considering. While quitting Instagram has some drawbacks, it could benefit you as follows:
You’ll save time.
Instagram can take up a lot of time. If you delete your account, you may have more time to focus on important things, like your work, family, or hobbies.
You’ll reduce the risk of digital overload.
The information online can be overwhelming sometimes. This is called digital overload. If social media is making this worse, deleting your account could help reduce the amount of information and stimulation you’re exposed to every day.
You’ll detach from the constant comparison trap.
We can get negative feelings about ourselves from social media. We compare our lives, looks, and everything to the people we see online.
This can make us feel inadequate. You will not be exposed to these traps if you delete your Instagram account. You can focus on living your own life without feeling you’re missing out.
You may improve your mental health.
Growing evidence suggests that social media can harm our mental health. For instance, it can cause or worsen anxiety, depression, and loneliness.
If using Instagram harms your mental health, quitting the app could be the best way to improve your well-being.
If social media or digital devices affect your mental health, deleting your account could be the answer. Try it today and see how you feel.