The prospect of being listed in the Credit Reference Bureau, popularly known as CRB, is the nightmare of many. But that is all that most people know. In fact, three companies offer CRB services, namely: Metropol CRB Limited, Transunion CRB Kenya, and Credit Info Kenya CRB.
Metropol CRB is more than just a company that blacklists people with low credit scores. It is a complete credit management solution provider that offers its clients a wide range of services to help them manage their finances better. Apart from CRB listing status, Metropol offers other services like credit score inquiry, CRB certificate, credit report, and knowledge of the lender(s) that listed you.
In other words, CRB Metropol is where your creditworthiness is determined. The CBK-licensed credit management company offers both personal and corporate clients a wide range of products and services to help them make informed decisions, avoid financial difficulties, and improve their creditworthiness.
Here is everything you need to know about Metropol CRB.
How Do I Check My Status with CRB?
A good credit score lands you in the good books of lenders while a negative CRB status proves you’re likely to default on a loan. Checking your Metropol CRB status is a simple process. This is how to check CRB status on Metropol:
- Download Metropol’s Crystobol application or visit Metropol’s official website. Alternatively, you can dial *433# to access the services offline.
- Launch the application on your Android or iOS device. Begin the registration process.
- If you already have an account, go to CRB Metropol login on your Crystobol app or website and enter your Mobile number and reference number.
This is how to register for Metropol Credit Reference Bureau Limited Nairobi using the app:
- Install the Crystobol application and launch it. Begin the registration procedure by clicking on the Signup button.
- Enter your personal details including your phone number, ID number, and email address. Click next.
- Verify the phone number and email address you’ve provided by entering the code sent via SMS in the textbox provided.
Registering for Metropol CRB services gives you access to services like:
- Listing Status: A quick examination of your CRB listing status. You may be on the green list, black list, or Gold list. These are taken to mean “no credit history,” “bad credit history,” and “good credit history,” respectively.
- Metro Score: Metro score is a measure of your creditworthiness. The credit risk models are based on the Metropol CRB report information.
- Metropol Credit Report: The Metropol CRB report has information on your borrowing from any lender nationwide. It also displays your repayment history and credit performance for each loan you’ve taken out.
- CRB Certificate of Clearance: You can get a Metropol CRB clearance certificate using this service. It is a pre-qualification in some organizations before you can be recruited or given credit, as it serves as proof that you have never defaulted on a loan. Metropol CRB clearance certificate costs Sh.2200.
- Who has listed me: You can easily access the complete list of the lenders that contribute to your Metropol Credit Reference Bureau listing status.
To check your Metropol CRB status offline:
- Pay a Ksh.50 registration fee via Paybill: 220388
- Use your ID number as the account number. You’ll get an SMS containing your unique code information, a link, and a reference number.
- Open your keypad and dial *433# USSD code (for Safaricom users only). Enter your account PIN. You’ll get your credit information via SMS. Ensure you have at least Ksh.2 airtime balance.
How Do I Get My CRB from Metropol?
A CRB report is normally required when applying for some jobs, getting recruited by a new organization, or when taking a loan. The CRB report from Metropol serves as evidence that you have never been blacklisted and proves your creditworthiness.
You may get your credit report free of charge every calendar year by simply sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can call *433# USSD code from your Safaricom number and proceed with the on-screen procedures.
How Do I Clear My CRB Blacklist?
Have you seen your name on the CRB blacklist and wish to have it removed? And how long does it take to be cleared from CRB?
If you are blacklisted, it means that you have a history of defaulting on loans. This will make it difficult for you to access credit in the future. To have your name removed from the blacklist, you’ll need to pay all the outstanding loans plus any accrued interest and penalties.
The Ksh.2200 you pay for the Metropol CRB clearance certificate is a processing fee and does not clear your debt or remove your name from the CRB blacklist. Metropol CRB clearance procedure is as follows:
- Check your Metropol CRB Status to confirm that you have been blacklisted.
- Check Who Has Listed Me and note down the lenders you’ve defaulted to.
- Repay all outstanding loans and interests to the lenders.
- Wait for 1-3 days for the lenders to process the payment and sent updates to Metropol CRB.
- Contact your lenders and confirm your status.
- Finally, go to Metropol CRB check online Kenya to confirm that you’ve been removed from the CRB blacklist.
I Have Been Wrongfully Blacklisted
If you have been wrongfully blacklisted, it could mean that someone used your personal information to acquire a loan that they defaulted on. Disputing this is easy if you have the information about the firm or institution that has submitted your name to the bureau. Simply reach out to them and file a dispute to have your name removed from the blacklist.
On the flip side, if you do not know the company that has blacklisted you, contact Metropol CRB via any of the contacts listed below.
The procedure is as follows:
- Contact Metropol CRB and inform them of the mistake.
- Metropol CRB then provides you with a form to indicate the incorrect data.
- Next, Metropol contacts the lending institution to verify the accuracy of the data submitted.
- The complaint of false information will be investigated from here by the lending institution. By law, the firm has 14 days to investigate and respond to your claims by:
- Verifying the data is correct and remaining as it is;
- Verifying the data is erroneous, thus should be removed; or
- Verifying the data is dated and submitting an updated information
Metropol CRB Contacts
The Metropol contacts are as follows:
Metropol Corporation Ltd Head Office.
KCB Towers, 15th Floor
Kenya Road, Upper Hill, Nairobi-Kenya
P.O Box 35331 – 00200 Nairobi-Kenya
Metropol CRB Contact Centre:
Barclays Plaza, 9th Floor
Loita Street, Nairobi-Kenya
(+254) 709 834 000
Making sure you have a good credit score is important before you apply for a loan. Checking your credit score regularly will help make sure you get the best loan terms and interest rates. It is also a good way to ensure you’re managing your money well.
That’s all you need to know about Metropol CRB. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us, and we’ll be happy to help.