Health insurance is an essential social security measure for every Kenyan citizen. It helps cope with the high cost of medical care. It also ensures that individuals and families get access to quality health services. In Kenya, there are numerous health insurance companies that offer a variety of health insurance plans.
To help you make an informed decision, we have compiled a list of health insurance companies in Kenya.
Best Health Insurance Companies In Kenya
Here are some of the best health insurance companies in Kenya 2020:
Jubilee Insurance is arguably one of Kenya’s top health insurance companies. It offers health insurance plans that are tailored to meet the specific needs of individuals and businesses. This implies that it provides a variety of alternatives based on your budget and insurance needs. Some covers offered include:
- J-Care: J-Care is the most preferred choice for many Kenyans. This is because it addresses pre-existing, mental, chronic, and congenital diseases, and HIV/AIDS. In addition, all accredited medical experts’ costs, including surgical bills and theater fees, are covered. This plan is available for individuals aged between 1 month and 60 years. It also covers the funeral expenses in case of the death of the insured.
- Johari: Johari provides you with access to a flexible policy and convenient provider network to fit your requirements and preferences. What’s neat about JCare Johari Health Insurance is that you can acquire it by a simple online enrollment, with zero health checkups and paperwork. The plan is also affordable, easy to access, and covers Covid-19. In addition, it also has a wellness program for members.
Madison Insurance is another great insurance company in Kenya that provides a wide range of products and services. Its health insurance plan is known as Madison Alpha, split into individual, family, and budget covers. Madison also has a separate medical plan for private school support personnel, known as KPSA.
The Alpha option is preferred due to access to the stable network of service providers the firm offers. The medical insurance covers non-chronic, pre-existing, and HIV/AIDS-related conditions. In addition, Madison Alpha covers Kenyans traveling abroad for the first 45 days on the trip for emergency treatment.
Furthermore, you can be admitted to any NHIF-accredited hospital with the Alpha cover. Additionally, the parent/guardian accompanying minors under 8 years are accommodated. The expert fees, including surgical costs and nursing procedures, are also covered. Other benefits included in the package include gynecological treatment and dental and optical benefits.
Another popular medical package is the Madison BetterLife cover. There are different levels of coverage, including BetterLife Premier, Madison BetterLife Executive, Madison BetterLife Ignite and BetterLife Budget. The Madison BetterLife Premier is the most all-inclusive plan, with the highest inpatients, outpatients, and dental and optical care limits. Members can also freely visit Madison healthcare providers without incurring a co-payment.
The Madison BetterLife cover offers free yellow fever and polio vaccines to members travelling abroad. In addition, the cover is inclusive of free pet vaccination and Covid-19 free cover.
Old Mutual Insurance
Old Mutual Insurance, formerly known as UAP, is one of the oldest and most popular insurance companies in Kenya. The firm has a wide range of products, including health, motor vehicle, fire, marine, life, travel, and general insurance.
The company’s health insurance plans are underwritten as Afyaimara. Afyaimara, like most health insurance companies, provides both inpatient and outpatient care, as well as various flexible pricing packages for individuals, families, and small businesses. Some of the packages include;
- Afyaimara Family Cover: This cover is ideal for people aged between 0-65 years. It caters for hospitalization and inpatient care, as well as maternity, optical, dental, and outpatient treatment with higher limits for chronic diseases.
- Afyaimara Family Junior: This plan covers kids from birth to the age of 18. However, it can be extended to those above 18 years but not past 21 years (with proof that they are still in school). Hospitalization for inpatients is guaranteed and outpatient treatment, optometry and dentistry are covered with higher limits for chronic diseases like cancer. In addition, the accommodation costs for parents/guardians accompanying a minor under 12 years are covered.
- Afyaimara Family Senior: This plan is tailored-made for senior citizens, between the age of 65 and 80 years. It provides both inpatient and outpatient care. The members enjoy this plan for life. In addition, it has a large geographic and hospital network, with referrals for overseas treatment available for illnesses not treatable in the country.
- Afyaimara Family County: This cover is designed for families at affordable rates, covering inpatient hospitalization, outpatient care, optical, dental, and maternity. In addition, it has higher limits for chronic illnesses like cancer. Members enjoy access to UAP-accredited hospitals, which have wide geographic coverage. They also enjoy referrals to overseas treatment, covering expenses up to Sh1 million.
- Afyaimara Family Executive: Afyaimara Family Executive provides enhanced cover limits for families. The plan has a countrywide provider network, unlimited inpatient cover, and global geographic coverage for overseas treatment and air evacuation. In addition, the providers can utilize private doctors in treating the insured. It also covers pre-existing and chronic conditions and HIV/AIDS-related illnesses.
British-American Insurance Company (Britam) ranks as one of the best health insurance companies in Kenya. It offers a set of medical insurance policies, like Kinga Ya Mkulima, Britam Milele Retail, and Britam Milele Corporate. However, it is a mandatory prerequisite for all Britam principal members to be NHIF members.
- Kinga Ya Mkulima: Kinga Ya Mkulima is tailor-made for small-scale tea farmers who are members of KTDA. It was designed to provide the most comprehensive and affordable coverage to the entire family. The cover provides inpatient, maternity, and outpatient care, as well as surgical expenses and funeral expenses.
- Britam Milele Retail: Britam Milele Retail covers everything from hospitalization to post-hospitalization care for you and your family. This product is curated to meet all your insurance needs at budget-friendly costs. Thus, it offers six alternative plans to allow you to pick the best policy for you. These are; Advantage, Premier, Essential 1 and Essential 2. The health plans also provide lifetime cover, free personal accident and critical illness cover, overseas treatment, and free consultations for nutrition and health, and stress-related issues.
- Britam Milele Corporate: This cover is suitable for NGOs, registered companies, and Chamas with over 10 members. It provides the members with both inpatient and outpatient care for employees and their dependents.
National Insurance Health Fund
NHIF is a renowned government parastatal tasked with providing medical insurance to Kenyan citizens. The mission of the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) is to offer all citizens affordable, convenient, long-term health insurance. The firm concentrates on integrating social welfare and developmental measures.
NHIF’s focus on accessible and affordable healthcare has set it apart from other medical providers in Kenya. It serves all Kenyans, regardless of their income level. This is because members can choose one of the three NHIF-accredited hospital categories, i.e., Category A for government hospitals, Category B for medium-cost and faith-based facilities, and Category C for private hospitals. Some of the NHIF covers include;
- Supa Cover: The NHIF Supa Cover, also known as National Scheme, is an insurance policy that gives you and your loved ones an unprecedented benefits package. For instance, it has no age limit, doesn’t check pre-existing medical conditions, no limits on the number of children, and has the largest provider network (over 8,000 NHIF-accredited hospitals).
- Linda Mama: The Linda Mama program is NHIF’s expanded form of free maternal care. It covers four prenatal clinics, four post-natal clinics, and normal/Cesarean delivery in all NHIF-accredited centers.
- Managed Scheme: Also called Fee For Service (FFS), applies to employees of firms that have secured additional enhanced packages besides the National Scheme. It is more common for civil servants, County Governments, The National Police and Prison Services, Government Parastatals, and former MPs. Managed Schemes members may be treated at any of Category A, B, or C hospitals.
- Edu Afya: This medical cover is available to all public high school students enrolled under NEMIS and insured by NHIF. Edu Afya members can acquire services from Category A and B hospitals.
APA Insurance was formed as a merger of Apollo Group and Pan Africa General Insurance. The merger made it one of the largest insurers in East Africa, providing both short-term and long-term insurance services.
It offers three main services through its medical insurance coverage. These are;
- Jamii Plus: Also Enhanced Family Health Cover, offers inpatient care with optional benefits like dental, optical, maternity, and last expenses. It also covers Covid-19, medication, hospitalization and post-hospitalization. In addition, it caters for the doctors’ fees as well as diagnostics. Enhanced benefits like cover for chronic, pre-existing, congenital, psychiatric and HIV/AIDS-related conditions.
- Afya Nafuu: This family health cover caters for inpatient hospitalization. It also caters for every family member, from a term baby to an 80-year-old.
- Femina: It is specifically designed for women. Femina, or Cancer Care, caters for two of the most common conditions that threaten women’s lives — Cervical and Breast Cancer. This cover does not need any pre-checks before getting one. Simply complete an application form, and you have your cover.
Heritage Insurance Company
Heritage Insurance Company is one of the top 10 renowned insurance companies in East Africa. It is common for the provision of short-term insurance covers, including medical covers.
As discussed in the previous article, it has a variety of products under its medical insurance coverage, including Heritage Flexi, blue core, blue lite, blue cover, and blue classic. The product choices on these plans differ in terms of requirements to meet various customer demands.
These are just some of the best health insurance companies in Kenya that you should consider when looking for medical cover. There are many other companies, like Allianz Insurance, CIC Group, Kenindia Assurance Company, First Assurance Company, etc. It is important to note that the best company for you is the one that caters to your specific needs at an affordable cost.