To be honest, we all want that blue check mark, don’t we? No matter the site, being a verified user is among the best ways to establish credibility on social networks.
With these platforms filled to the brim with bots and fake accounts, it only makes sense that brand accounts have the verification mark to distinguish the legitimate from the fake.
Initially, Facebook offered gray and blue checkmarks to signify the authenticity of growing local brands. The gray mark is no longer there, but the blue one is still available for professionals and businesses interested in getting verified.
What is Facebook Verification?
Facebook verification is a credibility process that simply involves proving your identity. The site verifies users’ identities using the details they provide and then keeps this data in their respective databases to prevent anyone from opening any fraudulent account.
So in simple terms, the mark is a sign of authenticity and trustworthiness on the platform.
What Facebook Verification Isn’t
Facebook verification is generally meant to curb bullying and fake news on the site. You can confirm your profile’s authenticity by following several simple steps. Once you get the new feature, your audience will be able to receive verified content only.
Verification doesn’t just entail identity scrutiny; it aims to protect users from fraudulent activities and phishing scams.
Why Should You Get The Facebook Verification Mark?
The Facebook verification mark isn’t a symbol of status as most people believe. But it has some perks, including:
- It instantaneously boosts your ego (come on, we feel good when we see it)
- It helps you gain social proof, indicating that you’re either an established brand or a celebrity. People will likely browse your page if you have social proof.
- It boosts your search visibility so that when people search for your brand, they’ll find you at the top of the result pages.
- You’ll earn credibility and trust, and more people will likely buy the services or products you’re selling.
- Verification protects advertising integrity by making it difficult for threat actors to spread spam or create fake accounts.
Who Can Get Verified On Facebook?
Getting verified benefits your Facebook strategy, but what are the requirements to get verified on Facebook?
For the platform to consider your application for a blue verified badge, your page or profile must adhere to the site’s Community Standards and Terms of Service. You must also have cover and profile photos, and a page name in line with the platform’s guidelines.
You must also meet the following requirements:
- Authenticity – Your Facebook account must represent an actual person, entity, or registered business.
- Completion – You need a public Facebook account with a bio, at least one post, and a profile picture. Moreover, your profile shouldn’t have “add me” links to other social networking platforms.
- Uniqueness – Your Facebook account has to be the exclusive presence of the entity or individual it represents. Typically, the site verifies a single account per entity, except for language-specific ones.
- Notability – Finally, your Facebook account should represent a highly searched-for, well-known entity, brand, or individual. The platform reviews accounts featured in several news sources, but doesn’t consider promotional or paid content as sources for review.
Once you satisfy the above requirements, it’ll be time to get the verification badge.
How to Get Verified on Facebook, Step-by-Step
Facebook verification is free, but you must put in the effort to set up your page so that the platform hands over the checkmark. The objective is to provide all the required information so that your account screams “legitimate and credible” at the social site’s verification gods.
Ready to begin? Let’s do it!
Open Facebook’s verification request page
First, visit the Verify Your Profile page available in Facebook Help Center or accessible via Facebook Business Manager. Here, you’ll find multiple sections where you’ll fill out the most up-to-date, relevant information.
Select Your Verification Type
You may get your Facebook profile or page verified, but you must note that the approval criteria are more involving when you want to verify your profile. Either way, you need many followers to prove that you deserve the checkmark.
You’ll then choose the profile or page you want the platform to verify, then provide the profile URL. Afterward, you’ll select the profile or page category characterizing your account. Facebook must confirm public interests. The categories include:
- News or Media
- Government and Politics
- Digital Creator/Blogger/influencer
If none of the above options are relevant to your niche, select Other, where you might have to provide more details separately.
Add Your Country
Your location is a primary verification requirement that helps the site understand you’re your influence better. Just start typing your region’s or country’s name and choose from the options that appear.
Attach the Required Identification Material
To verify a personal account, you must upload an official photo identification capturing your name and birthday. But if you’re verifying a non-person entity like a business profile, you must provide documentation like an official watermark or seal of your originations.
The site accepts:
- A certificate of formation
- your company’s utility bill
- Articles of incorporation
- Tax documents
Explain Why You Want Verification
You must detail your reasons for seeking the verification mark, including explaining why you want your page to stand out. If it’s due to the public interest, you’ll share links to prove your accounts notability, including mentions to reputable news publications.
But if you want to beat imposters and maintain your credibility, you could include links to imposter accounts to prove your claim.
Submit Your Application Form
That’s it! After filling out the form and attaching the relevant documentation, you’ll submit your request by clicking the Send option in the lower right corner.
Be Patient And Wait
Once you’ve submitted your verification request, all you can do is wait. How long the site takes to verify a page or profile varies from account to account. The site doesn’t specify a typical timeframe, but you can get a response within two days (48 hours) or up to 45 days.
My Facebook Verification Request Didn’t Go Through—Now What?
Remember that meeting Facebook’s essential verification criteria doesn’t mean you’ll ultimately be verified. The site may still reject your request without a specific reason, and you can reapply after 30 days. But ensure you put in additional effort in this subsequent attempt to boost your chances.
Here are the most appropriate steps to take after the social network rejects your application:
Contact Facebook support and request more details on why they rejected your first application. If they provide this information, you’ll know what you’ll do better to improve your chances in your subsequent request.
Improve your content quality and post regularly to ramp up your marketing efforts.
If you own brand accounts on any other social network, work on your presence there as well. This can boost your chances of getting verified on the platform.
Basic Rules On How to Get Verified On Facebook 2022
Facebook follows strict rules when selecting unique and authentic accounts, which can be difficult if you don’t meet the requirements. Here are the dos and don’ts if you wish to boost your chances of being verified.
- Use an authentic Facebook Page
- Maintain your online presence and high-audience engagement
- Keep your page unique
- Use analytics and insights to determine what works best for you
- Create remarkable content
- Create an organic following
- Stay visible on groups and pages relevant to your niche or trade
- Ignoring feedback (including the negative ones)
- Failing to understand your audience’s needs
- Posting inconsistently
- Begging people to follow you or like your content
- Misusing or overusing hashtags
- Adding multiple CTA (call-to-action) buttons
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Still have questions regarding how to get the Facebook verification check mark? Let’s review some of the most popular ones:
How Much Will I Pay to Get Verified On Facebook?
The entire process is free of charge. You don’t have to pour cash into Facebook ads or even pay anything to get the badge. All you’ll do is maintain a professional look and a consistent branding strategy.
How Many Followers Must You Have to Be Verified?
While the platform doesn’t offer an official answer, some sources claim that one needs at least 500 followers to earn the badge. Ensure your account is active to confirm that it has public value and satisfies general interest.
Can Facebook Verify a Normal Account?
If you’re referring to a personal or individual account, yes, you can earn the verified badge. But when applying, you must comply with the site’s community standards and terms of service, have an up-to-date cover and profile photo, and use a page name that’s in line with Community Guidelines.
You’ve now learned how to get verified on Facebook in 2022. Considering all the steps and requirements, you might question whether it’s worth the effort.
But remember that the verification symbol could make all the difference for your profile or page credibility. What’s more, it could boost your visibility in relevant searches. Therefore, you have every reason to make the most of the above tips.